Skip to main content

10-25-03

Saturday, October 25 2003 was by far the worst day of my life.

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to write and already my eyes are filling up with tears.

Not unusual since I have cried myself to sleep almost every night for the week leading up to this day.

It happens every year. Every year I think it will get better and I won't feel the pain and regret, but every year it is still there.

On that horrible morning I watched someone I love so much die.

I stood at the foot of his bed and watched him die.

No matter how much time goes by, that horror is with me.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

To stand by the bed of someone you love so much and watch them struggle to breathe and eventually watch the heart rate go lower, and the breathing go slower and finally......

Nothing.

It haunts me.

For most of the year I can put it out of my head. Forget about it. Pretend it didn't happen. That I wasn't there.

But as soon as October creeps up the feeling creeps up within me.

The memories.

Holding onto his hand.

Hugging his neck and whispering into his ear, begging him not to die. Begging him to stay there with us. Begging God not to take him.

That was the last time I talked to God for several months.

Losing someone you love, someone who you had seen almost every day of the first 18 years of your life before you went away to college, losing that person and not having God.

I can't even put it into words.

Lonely.

Complete Loneliness.

I felt totally alone.

I had walked away from God months previously, had pushed my family aside so they wouldn't know what I was doing, know how I was sinning.

I had no one.

That day, The following days.. Alone.

The only bright spot if you will, is that he passed before he could see what I was doing with my life. My sinful heart, my sinful everything. Walking away from God (and my family) for what? Freedom? Fun? The guy I was head over heels with who was completely using me? Not to mention the alcohol. I didn't even like it, coughed every time I drank but it numbed me. It numbed the pain and the loneliness that I was feeling. I think that would have been the worst. To someone who had battled alcoholism and been a totally different man before he was saved, that would have killed him inside to know I was doing that..

I live with those regrets. I live with the regret of the fact I left the hospital as soon as he was out of surgery days previous to him passing. I left to go see the loser I was dating. And I regret that so much.

But I try to think of the positive. I try to think of how happy he would be so see me and Kevin and how our lives are now. He would be so proud of us. He would be so happy to see us walking closely with the Lord, and me getting closer to God more now than ever. He would be so happy to see that Kevin finally found the perfect wife and now they are expecting a little baby boy. He would be proud to see that Kev has turned out so much like him. Such a Godly, caring, great husband and a soon to be wonderful father.

But its also those times where I miss him so much. My College graduation, when I stood in front of thousands of people and gave the commencement address.... I could just think of how he should have been there, how I wished he was there to see me finally succeed.

Kevin's wedding. Probably the happiest day of my life was seeing my brother so happy and in love with the perfect woman God chose for him and brought them together. But as I stood on the stage and looked out at my family, he wasn't there. And I missed him.

And now that little no name is coming.. I wish he was here to meet him. I wish he was here to see what a wonderful father my brother is going to be.

I can just think of these two verses..... 3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

I hope that up in heaven, he can see us, and rejoices.

I love you Grandpa. And I miss you SO MUCH.

Comments

Jordy Liz said…
I lost my first grandfather in 1998 and my other one this past April, so I know where you're at. I hope it gets easier as the years pass!
Charity said…
It gets a little easier, to where you can function, the first year i was a total mess.

so its alittle easier but its still hard. the pain is always there. :(

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

  Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on? No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I'm back blogging after almost a year of not posting anything. I did a month long Prayer and Fasting with my church and abstained from Social Media (more about that to come) and during that time I realized I really missed blogging! So here I am! Clearly I'm rusty at this because I managed to upload my pictures in the opposite order, and I'm too lazy to go through and move each and every one of them, so we are going to look back at the month of January from the end to the start! Let's go! The Last day of January was a busy one. Well for me at least, after spending most of 2022 on my parents couch, inbetween surgeries, doing anything is busy for me. I had a piano tuning for Old faithful, my new to me baby grand, so I hung out in my bedroom while my tuner was there, and worked on my laptop. Before that I had my 1 year Brow touch up with Marissa at Lafayette Microblading. It had actually been over a

This is My Love Story

In the predawn hours of New Years Day 2004 I was faced with a choice. After spending New Year's Eve at a local bar with a friend, I came home and through the events that transpired, I saw clearly a vision of my future. What would happen to me if I continued on the path I had been taking. I had a choice to make and within a split second I knew what my answer was going to be. I grew up in a Christian home. I was saved at an early age. When I was 13/14 on my Birthday Sunday, Pastor Martin preached a sermon about those of us who had been saved at an early age and knowing if your salvation was real or not. I spent the rest of the day and my party tormented because I could not remember what was in my heart when I was younger. That night I gave my life to Christ and knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was his, and going to Heaven. In the years that followed I continued to be very active in church. I played the Piano and was in charge of Sunday night offertory, I was t

Frugal Friday- (Some) Tips and Tricks on how I get the most bang for my buck

(Shoutout to Ollies for the perfect Picture for this blog post) Remember when it was January and I said I was going to blog more this year? Well, it's now December, and I haven't blogged since January so clearly that goal went out the window.  BUT! I am here blogging today to share something I'm passionate about! And that is SAVING MONEY! And spending the least amount of money on things. Listen, the lower the price of something is, the more I like it.  I was waxing poetic about this subject to a friend on Marco Polo this week and decided that I felt the need to share it with the world. So, world, (or the three people who read my blog) You're Welcome. Sidenote: These are just some of the ways I stretch my dollars and get money back from purchases. Some of these have referral codes that if you join from them I get some sort of a reward, and some don't have codes, or I'm just not cool enough to know where to find them. Use the code, don't use the code, but plea