Saturday, July 9, 2011

Surgery- the first two days..

Bless my heart it's been a rough couple of days.

Wednesday morning was my surgery. We got to the surgery center bright and early at 8:15 for a 9 am surgery but thanks to the surgeries before me which were more complicated than expected it was after 10:15 by the time I went into the operating room. Which of course only made me more anxious. Had I known how I would feel afterwards I would have put it off even more!!

Got to the operating room and the poor drug guy had major issues getting an IV in. He tried three times without luck, thankfully it didn't hurt that badly, but he ended up gassing me to put me to sleep so he could get an IV in after that. I am glad I wasn't awake for that part because try #4 is a HUGE bruise on my arm. He finally got one in on the 5'th time and its only a small bruise. He was very very nice though and actually listened to me when I told him my vein issues. I was very thankful for that as most people don't. And the nurse I had was really nice as well, she was petting my hair and being very sweet to me as he was trying to get the IV in. That helps alot I have to say.

I woke up in recovery and had a harder time waking up than I usually do. All I wanted to do was sleep. I kept opening my eyes but I couldn't get them to stay open and I couldn't really focus on anything, they just kept darting around and that was annoying me so I just closed them. I do remember telling the recovery nurse the pain wasn't as bad as I expected. HA. If only I had known what was coming! I did feel a tiny bit queasy and have learned my lesson and told her right away and she was able to give me some zofran and make it go away. Again very thankful for the wonderful nurses I had at this place that listened to me and were really on top of things!!

Finally I got off my bed and was wheeled in my rocker to the 2'nd phase of recovery where I finally got to see my Momma. Really from there all I remember is just trying to wake up and get my eyes to stay open because at that point i just wanted to go home. They gave me two pain pills before I left and then took me into the bathroom and left me alone there to change. that was not to good but by the grace of God I didn't pass out in there. I did come out feeling very queasy and that continued for quite some time.

We had to stop on the way home and get my pain pills which the nurse had called in hours before but the doggone pharmacy hadn't filled them yet! So it was over 20 mins waiting on them. I was alone in the truck and Mom kept running in and out of the store to check on me.

Finally we got the meds and headed home and mercy, by that point I was in horrific pain. I kept thinking that the pain would surely go away soon as I had taken the pain meds before I left but nothing. I was writhing in my seat. I don't remember the last time I was in such a horrible amount of pain. And like I had feared, head pain, is definitely worse!. It was horrible. I couldn't think of anything but my pain as my head and teeth were throbbing. Really everything from my forehead down to my chin hurt. It was insane. I kept trying to distract myself by thinking of my sweet nephew Benjamin and all the cute and adorable things he did the past weekend. It wasn't enough but it did help a tiny bit. Of course then I was sure that I'd never see him again because with the amount of pain I was in I surely had to be dying!

Finally we got home and I had 2 more hours untill I could take my pain meds. I watched the clock like a hawk. Took my next dose FINALLY and again it was like I had taken nothing. Needless to say it was a long and painful night. Finally after 1 am I did get some sleep but It was only about an hour every 2-3 hours. They had pumped alot of fluids into me so I had to pee the entire night which was annoying. I was worried I was keeping my parents up but thankfully they didn't hear anything. ( I slept on the couch by their bedroom) So it was a long and painful night.

Dad has to get up at 5:30 for work everyday and since he's still on crutches and no weight baring, mom has to get up with him and get his coffee and cereal, ect. I was up before they were. I think they were a tad surprised to see me awake that early.

Dad left for work and I took another pain pill and finally after 6:30 am I got to sleep and slept for about 2 1/2 hours. That was the most sleep I had gotten since Tuesday night and it was really nice.

The rest of Thursday is a blur, I did take another nap, not as long and that was good. I was still in a good amount of pain.

Thursday afternoon I got the brilliant idea to take a shower. Which I had Dad's shower chair in since I still felt pretty weak. yeah. I passed out in the shower. Luckily I could tell I was going to, and quickly got out and fell/laid down on the bathroom floor. That was not such a good time. I don't know why I didn't expect that because I do it almost every time I"m really sick or have surgery. Thought I could handle it but it was just too much. So I had a nice little rest time on the bathroom floor, and then finally came in and Mom got me set up on the couch and helped me get situated.

So that's the first two days, now I"m going to attempt shower #2 as I feel nasty. Let's pray for no passing out! I don't feel woozy, just very tired.

Stay tuned for the rest of my surgery story! I know its a scintillating read! ;)

No comments: