Skip to main content

Having a Mary Spirit-Chpt 2- Change me Lord

This fall my Women's Bible study that meets on Weds nights is doing the first 8 chapters of Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver. Last semester you'll remember we did the Prequel to that called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha world. I blogged each week about what I had learned during the study and I want to do that again, but with a change. This fall I want to be real and sincere and talk specifically about what God is teaching me and what he is trying to do in my life. This won't always be pretty, ok well its not really going to be pretty at all because my sinful heart isn't pretty but with God's help he will change me!

I want to start off with an illustration that God gave me today in my life. I didn't realize it was an illustration at the time, untill we got into the word tonight and it was like God was hitting me over the head with a sledgehammer. Charity Brooke this is a problem and you need my help to change it.

Today was a beautiful fall day here in Indiana and like most days I took my lunch outside and sat in my truck and ate and read. I felt particularly spiritual as I was doing my study for tonight and even read the next weeks chapter. I will admit there was a certain pride in my heart that I was being soooo spiritual and reading ahead. Obviously I did not take to heart what I read as you'll see soon.

As my lunch break ended I got out of the truck and was rolling up my windows as I noticed a piece of white paper under my windshield wiper. I groaned and wondered to myself what people were advertising this time. Much to my shock it was a ticket! A ticket for a driving violation! I had entered into the Do Not Enter area to park. I was alone no one was around and I do it all the time. When I saw that ticket I got SO MAD. I literally grumbled and made mad cow sounds all the way from the parking lot to the second floor where my office is at. I stomped into my office and huffed down into my seat, mad typing as i logged into my computer. My poor Muy Caliente was standing there waving and happy to see me untill she quickly realized something was going on.

I am not proud to say this but being honest here, for the next 35 minutes I was the rudest, whiniest dirtbag loser that you could ever imagine. Apes and Muy Caliente were in shock. They literally stood there staring at me untill they started to laugh, out of shock I"m pretty sure.

I went on and on with my righteous indignation to anyone and everyone who would listen or was within a 25 ft radius. I do have a loud voice.

I finally calmed down and the day went on.

Untill I sat down at church. And Whitney started leading us. She was telling us an embarassing moment that turned into a spiritual lesson. And then it just hit me. I have an attitude. I am usually a really happy nice person but I have a problem with my attitude. Specifically I have a problem with Attitude when I feel like someone has wronged me in some way or been rude to me or treated me in a way that I don't think is acceptable.

She gave us 3 x 5 cards and asked us to write down something about us that needed change. Well that was a no brainer. Attitude. Duh.

After going through some verses she then asked us to write down what was keeping us from changing. And not to make up something but to be real and honest. I realized that I have an attitude when I think I have been treated badly because since I'm a nice person and strive to treat people well and nicely I think that I deserve the same. Which isn't true. God called us to love eachother and to follow after him and be like him no matter what. It doesn't say in the bible keep my commandments if they work for you or if you feel like it, no it says Keep my Commandments.

The verse that keeps going through my mind is in Eph- Be ye kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other just as God as Christ forgave you.

This verse is very easy to skip over. Oh yeah I'll be kind to people. Just as long as they are nice to me. Or Ill be kind, but give me attitude or yell at me and I'll do whatever I want to.

Nope, pretty sure that's not in the bible.

Whit encouraged us to come up with a game plan, something we could do, put into action when we are faced with the temptation of the sin we are struggling with. My plan of action is to have verses, the above one in Eph and I am going to find one about attitude and carry them with me. I will have one at my desk and one in my purse, and also one at home. Focusing on God's word and truth is the best way to fight sin.

This can kind of sound daunting. I know for me sometimes its almost a little depressing to see HOW MUCH God needs to change me and how much of my heart is still full of sin. But the key here is that its not up to us. We can't change ourselves. Only God can change us. And it won't be easy. Breaking bad habits and sin is not as easy thing. But as the author of the book said, its a good kind of hurt. The hurt that means you will be more like God after you shape up.

And the most encouraging thing? These two verses:

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it t completion until the day of Christ Jesus Phil 1:6

God isn't giving up on you!!! You may not become who he wants you to be overnight or even in a year or two but he is working on you and will stay working on you untill he calls us home. I think thats pretty awesome. I am an inpatient person. I admit it. And sometimes I will give up easily. Especially when it comes to putting things together or figuring out how to work something. I give up easily. But God doesn't. And he won't. That pretty much makes me want to cry over his awesomeness and love for us!!

When I was in NC at Caca's church this past Sunday we had an amazing service. The choir sang the song "Not Guilty" by Mandisa and the words of the chorus have just been flowing through my head ever since..

I know you.
I love you.
I gave my life to save you.
Love paid the price for mercy.
My verdict Not guilty.



I know you.
I love you.

Just think of Jesus saying that to you. Because he does. More than we could ever fathom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

  Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on? No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I'm back blogging after almost a year of not posting anything. I did a month long Prayer and Fasting with my church and abstained from Social Media (more about that to come) and during that time I realized I really missed blogging! So here I am! Clearly I'm rusty at this because I managed to upload my pictures in the opposite order, and I'm too lazy to go through and move each and every one of them, so we are going to look back at the month of January from the end to the start! Let's go! The Last day of January was a busy one. Well for me at least, after spending most of 2022 on my parents couch, inbetween surgeries, doing anything is busy for me. I had a piano tuning for Old faithful, my new to me baby grand, so I hung out in my bedroom while my tuner was there, and worked on my laptop. Before that I had my 1 year Brow touch up with Marissa at Lafayette Microblading. It had actually been over a

This is My Love Story

In the predawn hours of New Years Day 2004 I was faced with a choice. After spending New Year's Eve at a local bar with a friend, I came home and through the events that transpired, I saw clearly a vision of my future. What would happen to me if I continued on the path I had been taking. I had a choice to make and within a split second I knew what my answer was going to be. I grew up in a Christian home. I was saved at an early age. When I was 13/14 on my Birthday Sunday, Pastor Martin preached a sermon about those of us who had been saved at an early age and knowing if your salvation was real or not. I spent the rest of the day and my party tormented because I could not remember what was in my heart when I was younger. That night I gave my life to Christ and knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was his, and going to Heaven. In the years that followed I continued to be very active in church. I played the Piano and was in charge of Sunday night offertory, I was t

Frugal Friday- (Some) Tips and Tricks on how I get the most bang for my buck

(Shoutout to Ollies for the perfect Picture for this blog post) Remember when it was January and I said I was going to blog more this year? Well, it's now December, and I haven't blogged since January so clearly that goal went out the window.  BUT! I am here blogging today to share something I'm passionate about! And that is SAVING MONEY! And spending the least amount of money on things. Listen, the lower the price of something is, the more I like it.  I was waxing poetic about this subject to a friend on Marco Polo this week and decided that I felt the need to share it with the world. So, world, (or the three people who read my blog) You're Welcome. Sidenote: These are just some of the ways I stretch my dollars and get money back from purchases. Some of these have referral codes that if you join from them I get some sort of a reward, and some don't have codes, or I'm just not cool enough to know where to find them. Use the code, don't use the code, but plea