Skip to main content

O Glorious Day

Easter time is a really meaningful and special time for me. I look forward to it each year really more than any Holiday. I do love Christmas, but Easter just has a deeper meaning for me.

I grew up in a Christian home and got saved at an early age. I was very active in my church as a teenager and then went to a Christian college for three years.

There is a ton that I could say about the college and my experience there but that's not what this post is about. I will say that when I left the college I was in a state of rebellion. What I had seen of Christianity there had really soured me on the whole deal. I still believed in God of course but I just wasn't interested in church or anything. I wanted to go my own way and do my own thing.

My rebellion lasted untill New Years Day 2004. From coming home from the restrictive college in May of 2003 and then moving away from my family into my first apartment in Lafayette and being totally on my own and totally free I went nuts. I did things that I still regret and have a hard time forgiving myself, even though Christ has forgiven me, I regret those months so much. He saved me from doing things that would have totally broken me as a person but I was not good during that phase at all.

New Years day 2004 was when God finally broke through the walls in my heart that I had built up with my sin and showed me what I was headed for.

After that weekend I started attending the church I am attending now and I really feel like I started to meet God and find out truly and wholly who he was for the first time in my 21 years of life.

2004 was the year that Passion of the Christ came out in the movie theatre. There was alot of talk about the movie in Christian circles and at my new church Pastor Whips did a several month sermon leading up to Easter about The Passion of the Christ.

I was literally blown away every Sunday when I went to church. I remember that being such an exciting time in my walk with God, in a way it really felt like I was a new believer because I was finding out about him in a way I had never before. I don't think there was a Sunday that went by that I wouldn't cry during church it was just that powerful. Its hard to explain but it just became so REAL to me.

I think growing up in church and being around it all the time had not numbed me, but I knew the stories and that's kind of what they were to me, stories. I hadn't connected on the deeper level and really thought about Jesus as a man who walked the earth. That all changed during that sermon series and Easter time that year.

My brother and I went to see the movie and seeing an actor portray it on screen gave me the visualization that I needed to tie everything in. I sobbed through that movie. For the first time in my life I sat and thought about how horrific it was for Jesus to be tortured and beaten. And he did it out of love for me. What did I do to deserve that? Nothing.

I love my family and my friends and I say I'd do anything for them but really would I? I don't even want to do stuff sometimes if it involves me getting out of bed early. Let alone be beaten and tortured and have thorns shoved in my entire head.

This year I've really been thinking about the Crucifixion more than normal. And what he must have felt like. I've especially been thinking about the nails in his hands. The other night I was plucking stray eyebrows and my tweezers slipped and gouged my hand.

For several days now I have had a tiny hole in my hand and its hurt. I've been looking at it thinking of how much it hurt when I did it, but the pain went away. Jesus was nailed to a cross and he hung there. For hours. And he knew he was going to die. He knew it all was happening because it was in God's perfect plan. I just can't really wrap my head around that.

In some ways I guess I'm glad I hurt my hand because all week long it has been a reminder and had me reflecting more than normal.

Tonight I will go to the Good Friday service at my church. The same church that showed me the True Love of Christ all those years ago. I will reflect on his suffering and why he did it for me. And for you.

And on Sunday

I will rejoice.

Because the story does not end with him dying for us and our sins.

It only begins- Because he rose again.

Alleluia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

  Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on? No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I'm back blogging after almost a year of not posting anything. I did a month long Prayer and Fasting with my church and abstained from Social Media (more about that to come) and during that time I realized I really missed blogging! So here I am! Clearly I'm rusty at this because I managed to upload my pictures in the opposite order, and I'm too lazy to go through and move each and every one of them, so we are going to look back at the month of January from the end to the start! Let's go! The Last day of January was a busy one. Well for me at least, after spending most of 2022 on my parents couch, inbetween surgeries, doing anything is busy for me. I had a piano tuning for Old faithful, my new to me baby grand, so I hung out in my bedroom while my tuner was there, and worked on my laptop. Before that I had my 1 year Brow touch up with Marissa at Lafayette Microblading. It had actually been over a

This is My Love Story

In the predawn hours of New Years Day 2004 I was faced with a choice. After spending New Year's Eve at a local bar with a friend, I came home and through the events that transpired, I saw clearly a vision of my future. What would happen to me if I continued on the path I had been taking. I had a choice to make and within a split second I knew what my answer was going to be. I grew up in a Christian home. I was saved at an early age. When I was 13/14 on my Birthday Sunday, Pastor Martin preached a sermon about those of us who had been saved at an early age and knowing if your salvation was real or not. I spent the rest of the day and my party tormented because I could not remember what was in my heart when I was younger. That night I gave my life to Christ and knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was his, and going to Heaven. In the years that followed I continued to be very active in church. I played the Piano and was in charge of Sunday night offertory, I was t

Frugal Friday- (Some) Tips and Tricks on how I get the most bang for my buck

(Shoutout to Ollies for the perfect Picture for this blog post) Remember when it was January and I said I was going to blog more this year? Well, it's now December, and I haven't blogged since January so clearly that goal went out the window.  BUT! I am here blogging today to share something I'm passionate about! And that is SAVING MONEY! And spending the least amount of money on things. Listen, the lower the price of something is, the more I like it.  I was waxing poetic about this subject to a friend on Marco Polo this week and decided that I felt the need to share it with the world. So, world, (or the three people who read my blog) You're Welcome. Sidenote: These are just some of the ways I stretch my dollars and get money back from purchases. Some of these have referral codes that if you join from them I get some sort of a reward, and some don't have codes, or I'm just not cool enough to know where to find them. Use the code, don't use the code, but plea