Skip to main content

9-11-01

Ten years ago today I was fourteen hours away from my family at a small Christian College in Florida.

Today I went to church with my entire family and worshiped the God that created us all.

If it hadn't been for those almost 3,000 people that died that day and the almost 8,000 troops that have died in war since 9-11-01 I would not have that privilege.

I had a wonderful weekend spent with my family and my precious nephew yet mixed in the love and happiness and baby snuggles was the sadness and still the lingering pain of what happened ten years ago today.

In some respects I cannot believe it has been ten years since it happened as I can remember it so clearly. And in other respects I still cannot believe that it actually happened.

On September 11, 2001 I was a 19 year old college Sophomore at Pensacola Christian College. That Tuesday morning I was on the upper floor of the AC in my two hour 8-9:50 am Philosophy of Christian Education class with Dr Bradley.

Class was normal as always and when the bell rang at 9:50 we departed class, made our way to the elevators and set upon heading to chapel.

I distinctly remember getting off the elevator in the first floor of the Library right by a big conference room and seeing all of the top people at PCC there. I could tell they were having a serious conversation and something had happened. It never crossed my mind it would be something of this magnitude. Honestly I thought the president of our college had died, he was older and wasn't in the meeting.

I pondered upon that, not hugely worried and made my way across campus to the DHA. I took my seat in row Q, on the right side, two rows from the section break.

Seconds later my world as I knew it totally changed.

I remember being shocked and starting to shake, and cry. I couldn't believe it was happening, I was REALLY scared, I didn't know what was going to happen next and all I wanted to do was be with my family.

Chapel ended and they made us go to our classes like a normal day. I am still upset about that. I think it was a gross mistake on their part.

I walked from the DHA over to the MK building and went up to the third floor i believe for my bible class. Jeremy, my music buddy and seat partner in every class we had because our names were so close to eachother, stood by me as we looked out the window. You could see everyone walking about but yet it was silent. No one was talking anywhere. I felt like I was in a fog i guess would be the best explanation. I was seeing things and hearing things but just not comprehending.

I just remember standing there with Jeremy and realizing that life as I knew it would never be the same. And although I realized that I didn't know what it would mean. I was scared.

We went into our class and our teacher did not mention what had happened at all. We would always pray at the beginning of class and he prayed as usual and said nothing. He then proceeded to give us our quiz. Needless to say I think we all flunked it. Again not a wise decision on PCC's part.

After class all I wanted to do was call my parents and see what was going on but Cindy convinced me we needed to eat since we both had classes for the entire rest of the afternoon.

We ate quickly, i had no appetite and I was finally able to go call my family.

I don't remember the rest of the day. I was in classes all day.

We had one tv in our dorm and they turned it on, but when you are in classes all day long, thanks again pcc, bad choice! i couldn't go watch them. As the day went on, I didn't want to watch it. I didn't want to see everything with tons of people crammed around me. When i saw what exactly had happened I wanted it to be on my own terms.

I think we were made to stay on campus for a few days and alot of our parents wanted us to stay on campus for longer than that so it was awhile before I got off campus and really saw what was going on in the world.

The week after 9-11 we finally got off campus and I went to Target and bought a People Magazine that was totally 9-11. I brought it back to my dorm room, and sat reading it with my friend, and sobbed. I had no clue. It was beyond heartbreaking.

I didn't end up seeing actual footage of 9-11 until the next summer. I was at my parents house and they were gone, but they had bought a commemorative dvd. I watched it and just cried uncontrollably. I still want to cry and get teary-eyed when I see footage or pictures of it now.

There is a song that says where were you when the world stopped turning, I can obviously remember all of it. But for me the biggest moment was that Friday. President Bush had made it into a special day and we were all to wear Red, White and Blue. My roommates and i searched around and made up red white and blue ribbons and i wore a polo shirt that had all of the colors on it. It was small but it was nice to finally feel like I was a part of the world, being so sheltered at PCC.

At noon that day bells were supposed to chime for a few minutes. I was in my suitemates room at noon, and we stood by the floor to ceiling window, opened it (which we could have gotten in trouble for) and listened.

It was amazing. We could hear bells from all over Pensacola. You coulcn't hear anything BUT Bells. I remember there were two cars that were driving and they stopped and turned off their engines. Several students were crossing the road and by the camponille and they all stopped and stood there un-moving. That's the biggest memory for me for some reason. Everything just stopped in that moment. And we were all one.

I wish that our country was still in that mind set. Of one nation under God, of pride in our troops, of being kind one to another.

I will never forget.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I too will never forget.

My husband, from NYC, and I spent the day with his parents and to hear their first hand account of this day is chilling.

God Bless America.

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

  Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on? No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I'm back blogging after almost a year of not posting anything. I did a month long Prayer and Fasting with my church and abstained from Social Media (more about that to come) and during that time I realized I really missed blogging! So here I am! Clearly I'm rusty at this because I managed to upload my pictures in the opposite order, and I'm too lazy to go through and move each and every one of them, so we are going to look back at the month of January from the end to the start! Let's go! The Last day of January was a busy one. Well for me at least, after spending most of 2022 on my parents couch, inbetween surgeries, doing anything is busy for me. I had a piano tuning for Old faithful, my new to me baby grand, so I hung out in my bedroom while my tuner was there, and worked on my laptop. Before that I had my 1 year Brow touch up with Marissa at Lafayette Microblading. It had actually been over a

This is My Love Story

In the predawn hours of New Years Day 2004 I was faced with a choice. After spending New Year's Eve at a local bar with a friend, I came home and through the events that transpired, I saw clearly a vision of my future. What would happen to me if I continued on the path I had been taking. I had a choice to make and within a split second I knew what my answer was going to be. I grew up in a Christian home. I was saved at an early age. When I was 13/14 on my Birthday Sunday, Pastor Martin preached a sermon about those of us who had been saved at an early age and knowing if your salvation was real or not. I spent the rest of the day and my party tormented because I could not remember what was in my heart when I was younger. That night I gave my life to Christ and knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was his, and going to Heaven. In the years that followed I continued to be very active in church. I played the Piano and was in charge of Sunday night offertory, I was t

Frugal Friday- (Some) Tips and Tricks on how I get the most bang for my buck

(Shoutout to Ollies for the perfect Picture for this blog post) Remember when it was January and I said I was going to blog more this year? Well, it's now December, and I haven't blogged since January so clearly that goal went out the window.  BUT! I am here blogging today to share something I'm passionate about! And that is SAVING MONEY! And spending the least amount of money on things. Listen, the lower the price of something is, the more I like it.  I was waxing poetic about this subject to a friend on Marco Polo this week and decided that I felt the need to share it with the world. So, world, (or the three people who read my blog) You're Welcome. Sidenote: These are just some of the ways I stretch my dollars and get money back from purchases. Some of these have referral codes that if you join from them I get some sort of a reward, and some don't have codes, or I'm just not cool enough to know where to find them. Use the code, don't use the code, but plea