Skip to main content

#ChooseJoy #JoyGivers365 Weeks 29-34 Cancer Free!!!!

A few weeks ago I found a lump.

It's scary for anyone, but when you have very recently lost a loved one to cancer, and have the genetic history that I do, it's downright terrifying. I know that my odds for cancer are high, everytime I'm at a Dr's office and giving my family history you can see and hear the change in the person taking it down. Three Grandparents with cancer. Maternal Grandmother with Metestatic Ovarian Cancer. As one Dr said " You really didn't win the genetic lottery did you?" um no.

Fact of the matter is, I've allready had a cancer scare. Two weeks before I turned 21, I was 14 hours away from my family, at my college in Florida, and I sat in the Dr's office and heard those words that you never want to hear. "With a cyst this size, it is almost definitely cancer."

Thank God it wasn't.

But I have never forgotten that moment, or what it felt like afterwards, walking back to my Dorm and feeling like the whole world had changed.

Now 11 years later, during a normal self exam I felt a lump.

I told my Dr, had an apt, and got referred to go have a Mammogram.

This past Tuesday I spent over two hours at the center having a mammogram and then an ultrasound.

I will say this, if you're worried or scared that a Mammogram will hurt, it doesn't.  And it was very quick. I think the weirdest/most uncomfortable part of it was where my arm had to go. I never really thought my arms were in the way until i went for my mammogram! ha! I told the lady it felt like I was doing really weird yoga.

It was a very long afternoon, nerve wracking to say the least. I was so nervous when I got there I thought about asking the receptionist how many people have had a heart attack while waiting. 

Its a strange thing, being in the back area where the testing is done. Only patients are allowed back in the small waiting room. You sit there with your exam outfit on, among other women who are waiting to hear if they have good or bad news. It was a very interesting dynamic. I can't quite describe it, but you felt for the other women. I ended up talking to each of the three different women that were in the room at the times I was waiting. I found myself wanting to cheer them up, to encourage them and take their mind off from the fear that was coursing through their bodies. (It was going through mine as well) When one of us would be called back into the exam room for a second look, ect, we would wish each other luck and say kind things. It was comforting really, even though I had never met any of them before, we were kind of bound together in that time. Pulling for each other and praying for the other to have good news.

It's been a few weeks since I started writing this blog. At the beginning it was too fresh for me, too personal to share. I debated on whether I wanted to share it or not, but it is part of my history now, and part of my story. And Heavens knows with how bad my memory is becoming I might forget it in the next 7 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

  Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on? No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I'm back blogging after almost a year of not posting anything. I did a month long Prayer and Fasting with my church and abstained from Social Media (more about that to come) and during that time I realized I really missed blogging! So here I am! Clearly I'm rusty at this because I managed to upload my pictures in the opposite order, and I'm too lazy to go through and move each and every one of them, so we are going to look back at the month of January from the end to the start! Let's go! The Last day of January was a busy one. Well for me at least, after spending most of 2022 on my parents couch, inbetween surgeries, doing anything is busy for me. I had a piano tuning for Old faithful, my new to me baby grand, so I hung out in my bedroom while my tuner was there, and worked on my laptop. Before that I had my 1 year Brow touch up with Marissa at Lafayette Microblading. It had actually been over a

This is My Love Story

In the predawn hours of New Years Day 2004 I was faced with a choice. After spending New Year's Eve at a local bar with a friend, I came home and through the events that transpired, I saw clearly a vision of my future. What would happen to me if I continued on the path I had been taking. I had a choice to make and within a split second I knew what my answer was going to be. I grew up in a Christian home. I was saved at an early age. When I was 13/14 on my Birthday Sunday, Pastor Martin preached a sermon about those of us who had been saved at an early age and knowing if your salvation was real or not. I spent the rest of the day and my party tormented because I could not remember what was in my heart when I was younger. That night I gave my life to Christ and knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was his, and going to Heaven. In the years that followed I continued to be very active in church. I played the Piano and was in charge of Sunday night offertory, I was t

Frugal Friday- (Some) Tips and Tricks on how I get the most bang for my buck

(Shoutout to Ollies for the perfect Picture for this blog post) Remember when it was January and I said I was going to blog more this year? Well, it's now December, and I haven't blogged since January so clearly that goal went out the window.  BUT! I am here blogging today to share something I'm passionate about! And that is SAVING MONEY! And spending the least amount of money on things. Listen, the lower the price of something is, the more I like it.  I was waxing poetic about this subject to a friend on Marco Polo this week and decided that I felt the need to share it with the world. So, world, (or the three people who read my blog) You're Welcome. Sidenote: These are just some of the ways I stretch my dollars and get money back from purchases. Some of these have referral codes that if you join from them I get some sort of a reward, and some don't have codes, or I'm just not cool enough to know where to find them. Use the code, don't use the code, but plea